Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mouth-watering roast

Another food we love is a well-cooked roast. This recipe is adapted for a roasting pan in the oven.

Luckily, my parents get half a cow every year (we raise them with our neighbors), so whenever Daniel and I head up to Idaho we get free beef. I'm dreading the day we move and have to actually BUY that stuff...

So we start with the marinade...

For a 4 lb. roast:
1/2 c. beef broth
1/4 c. oil (I used olive oil, but I bet vegetable oil would be fine)
1 T parsley
1 T rosemary
1 T thyme (all dried)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
(Note: if you don't think these are enough spices, don't worry; we'll add more)

Combine all of these ingredients in a bowl and mix 'em up! Then put your (defrosted) roast in a bag and pour this stuff all over it. Refrigerate for 8-10 hours or however long you want. But at least 6 hours or the marinade is useless! Make sure you turn it over a few times to let the whole thing soak up the juices...

After 10 hours or 3 days or 17 hours (your decision, I'm not going to boss you around), drain the roast but KEEP THE SAUCE!

For the rest of the recipe, I used this: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/2008_the_year_of_the_pot_roast/

But instead of deglazing the pan with beef broth, I used the sauce. Put everything in the roaster (I added potatoes as well) and follow her cooking instructions, or you can put it in at 325 for 2.5 hours (for a medium 4 lb. roast). We like our roast pink!

If you want to make some gravy, remove the roast and vegetables from the pan but keep the juices. Simmer what's left over the stove and add 1/4 c. flour (more or less to adjust thickness).

This is one of our favorites!

I'm also making bread... the most delicious bread you've ever had in your life. My aunt Stephanie is the master of this bread... http://lapray7.blogspot.com/2010/11/baking_17.html

You can make it without a bread maker and it's still AMAZING, but who wouldn't want to let a bread maker do the work for them???

No comments:

Post a Comment